Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The DIY Cleaning Products

Hello Wonderful People. I am exciting to share with you the homemade cleaning products I tried this week and how they worked out.


The bottles are almost empty!


The 1st product is wood floor cleaner. I got the recipe here: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/39096/how-to-make-floor-polish

What you will need is the following:
  • 1/3 cup olive oil 
  • 2/3 cup white vinegar 
  • 5 drops of essential oil (I used Sweet Orange)
  • Measuring cup
  • Spray bottle
This is from the website: 

 Add olive oil and vinegar to the spray bottle. Carefully add the essential oil; you don't want to add too much of these potent oils, as they can impact your pets if used in too high a concentration. 
 In fact, some are actually toxic to pets: Avoid peppermint, lemon (lemon juice is okay), lavender, tea tree, cinnamon bark, and wintergreen oil. If you are concerned, just forego the essential oil altogether.

My hardwood floors are from 1940. I don't think they have every been refinished.The floor sucked up this cleaner and gave the floor a shine. This shine lasted almost a week. It was wonderful seeing my wood floor go bright and beautiful. Actually I decided to test it on my Coffee Table and Wood Shelves. It worked awesome and smelled great. Believe it or not I have come to like the smell of vinegar it smells clean. This is a keeper!!

The 2nd product I used was a bath tub cleaner. I got the recipe from here: http://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/Homemade--Scrub-Tub-Cleaner-34720829

This is what the website states:
  1. Heat one-fourth cup vinegar and pour into a spray bottle. Add one-quarter cup liquid dish detergent, and it give a little shake to distribute. That's it! The vinegar and dish soap work together to tackle soap scum and dirty tub rings. (FYI mine is red because I used Dawn apple scented dish soap)
Like my floors my tub is old. It's a steel tub. When we moved in I think the last time it was cleaned in the 1980's. It was nasty not to mention the entire bathroom is tile. I have scrubbed and scrubbed this tub and the tile. It had years of soap scum on it and it's taken me 2 years to scrum away this soap scum.I have tried every cleaning product on the shelf too. Finally this product is working. I spray this on the tub and walls and let it sit for an hour.With very little scrubbing The tub is cleaned.  Also my bathroom smells super clean. I love this product and will be making it again as soon as I run out. 

The bonus part is I keep Vinegar, Dish Soap, and Olive Oil in my house so it's easy to re-mix everything when I need it. I now don't have to budget out for floor cleaner for my wood floors or tub and tile cleaner. Can I get a WOOHOOO!!!

 I haven't tried the cleaning my top loader washer yet. It is on the plans to do this week.
Do you have a secret cleaning tips? I would love to hear them and even try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment